For PDF list click here.
- Create an experience book about wearing a mask.
- Practice wearing the mask for short amounts of time.
- Participate in highly preferred activities while wearing a mask.
- Create a mask routine in the morning, after a transition or both.
- Incorporate a mask into an already established routine.
- Include the mask in the student/child’s calendar system.
- If using pictures of staff/others in a calendar system- add pictures of them in masks.
- Incorporate highly preferred textures into the mask.
- Allow the student/child to decorate/ make their own mask.
- Allow the student/child to choose their own mask.
- Staff working with students should wear similar masks each day to help with
- Face shields or masks with clear windows for lip reading and facial expressions.
- Build in mask breaks with reward/choice time.
- Try different types of masks: ties, elastic, etc.
- Allow the student/child time to explore the mask without wearing it.