Contact Carol Darrah, F2FC Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about the project and the role of facilitators. You will be asked to provide a reference from your state deaf-blind project or another organization.
Family-to-Family Communities Project (F2FC):
• F2FC brings families together to connect, share information and resources, and offer support to one another in the journey of supporting their family member with deaf-blindness
• Each F2FC group is comprised of 8-10 family members with shared commonalities and is guided by trained Facilitators.
• Examples of current groups include self-care; communication & hot topics; life support; adult life; Spanish-speaking families; extended family members; Usher syndrome; PBD diagnoses; and CHARGE syndrome.
• New groups for 2020-2021 will be added based on talents, interests, and availability of new Facilitators.
• F2FC groups meet once per month for 90 minutes, via phone and/or video conference (group preference).
• Topics are chosen by the group and include a combination of structured conversation and open sharing.
Family-to-Family Communities Project Timeline:
• Facilitator recruitment is open through June 2020. Participant registration will open in July 2020.
• During August 2020, F2FC Facilitators will participate in training and contact group members.
• F2FC conference calls will begin in September 2020 and continue through May 2021.
• Facilitators will participate in quarterly Facilitator Mentor calls to share ideas and support one another.
Facilitator Time Commitment varies between 2 to 6 hours per month and includes these Responsibilities:
• Pre-planning with your co-facilitator to discuss topics, determine roles/responsibilities, etc.
• Send reminders to families about calls (email and/or phone calls).
• Facilitate the group during the call- pose questions, encourage discussion, keep time.
• Complete a Call Log form for each call to record attendance and note topics and themes discussed.
• De-brief with your co-facilitator to discuss successes and challenges and plan for the next call.