When: February 21st – May 23, 2021
- Go to: AEA Online Website
- Search for the course via the activity number, instructor name or course title.
- Follow the steps to register.
- Course name: HL – Open Hands Open Access – Communication and Concept Development
- Course #: 305829
- Iowa’s Deafblind Project has financial support available for tuition reimbursement and travel costs for
participants taking the course who work with a child on Iowa’s Deafblind Registry
Course Description: This course is the second course in a series on deafblindness. It is recommended, but not required, for participants to have taken the Introduction to Deafblindness course. The Communication and Concept Development course expands upon foundational knowledge to include behavior strategies in everyday routines, calendar systems, intervener strategies and creating responsive environments for communication for students with deafblindness.
One face-to-face Zoom session will take place on Saturday, February, 27th. This course will be offered for two (2)
licensure renewal credits or two (2) graduate credits.
Please note that participants will be required to use the AEA Online Learning Moodle platform. Participants will
respond to discussion boards and turn in assignments via the online platform. Participants will need a computer to
participate in this class.
Course Learning Objectives:
- Participants will gain knowledge on how to encourage concept development in students with deafblindness.
- Participants will gain knowledge of how to maximize vision and hearing for students with deafblindness.
- Participants will understand the purpose and use of calendar systems for communication with a student with deafblindness.
- Participants will understand how behavior strategies can be integrated with everyday routines.
- Participants will gain knowledge on intervener strategies and how these can be applied in the classroom setting
Instructor: Judy Gipson – Consultant for Deaf/Hard of Hearing Mississippi Bend AEA
Questions about course content or financial support to take the course?
- Contact Katy Ring at 712-310-4623 or firstname.lastname@example.org