When: February 21st – May 23, 2021.
- Go to: AEA Online Website
- Search for the course via the activity number, instructor name or course title.
- Follow the steps to register.
- Course name: HL – Open Hands Open Access – Connections and Teaming
- Course #: 200866
- Iowa’s Deafblind Project has financial support available for tuition reimbursement and travel costs for
participants taking the course who work with a child on Iowa’s Deafblind Registry.
Course Description: This course is the third and final course in a series on deafblindness. It is recommended, but not required, for participants to have taken the Open Hands Open Access-Introduction to Deafblindness and/or the Open Hands Open AccessCommunication and Concept Development courses. The Open Hands Open Access-Connections and Teaming course expands upon the foundational knowledge to include strategies to build better relationships with teams and families working and living with children who are deafblind. Concepts developed in this course will be collaborative teaming techniques, accessing the curriculum for students who are deafblind, introduction to sign language and braille and using touch for connecting, learning and communication.
One face to face Zoom session will take place on Saturday, March 6th. This course will be offered for two (2) licensure renewal credits or two (2) graduate credits.
Please note that participants will be required to use the AEA Online Learning Moodle platform. Participants will
respond to discussion boards and turn in assignments via the online platform. Participants will need a computer to
participate in this class.
Course Learning Objectives:
- Participants will gain knowledge on how collaborate with teams and families.
- Participants will gain knowledge on how to access the curriculum and environment.
- Participants will gain knowledge about Sign Language and Braille.
- Participants will gain knowledge on how touch creates connections and learning environments.
- Participants will gain knowledge about how touch connects with communication.
Instructor: Judy Gipson – Consultant for Deaf/Hard of Hearing Mississippi Bend AEA
Questions about course content or financial support to take the course?
- Contact Katy Ring at 712-310-4623 or firstname.lastname@example.org