Open Hands Open Access: Introduction to Deafblindness
September 11, 2022 to November 19, 2022
Do you work with a child who has a combined vision and hearing loss? This course utilizes the Open Hands Open Access modules created by the National Center on Deaf-Blindness, to provide foundational information about the unique learning, sensory, communication, and access needs of students who are deafblind. Basic instructional and remedial strategies and materials will be discussed.
One Zoom session will take place on September 17th. This course will be offered for three (3) licensure renewal credits or three (3) graduate credits.
Please note that participants will be required to use the AEA Online Learning Moodle platform. Participants will respond to discussion boards and turn in assignments via the online platform. Participants will need to bring a computer to the onsite sessions.
Course Learning Objectives:
- Participants will gain knowledge of the implications of the age of onset of vision and hearing loss, the types and degrees of loss, and the presence of additional disabilities on development and learning.
- Participants will gain knowledge of the impact of deafblindness on communication and interactions
- Participants will understand the impact of deaf-blindness on bonding, attachment, and social interaction
- Participants will be able to facilitate direct learning experiences with individuals with deafblindness using techniques to increase anticipation, motivation, communication, and confirmation.
- Participants will gain knowledge on how to facilitate language and literacy development for individuals with deafblindness.
Judy Gipson – Consultant for Deaf/Hard of Hearing
Mississippi Bend AEA
- Go to and log in/create an account: AEA Online Website
- Search for the course via the activity number, instructor name or course title.
- Follow the steps to register.
- Course number: 181103
- Course Title: MB – Open Hands Open Access An Introduction to Deafblindness
Iowa’s Deafblind Project has financial support available for tuition reimbursement and travel costs for participants taking the course who work with a child on Iowa’s Deafblind Registry.
Questions about course content or financial support to take the course???
Contact Katy Ring at 712-310-4623 or firstname.lastname@example.org