Is there a special certification or licensure required to be an intervener in Iowa?

Currently, Iowa does not have a requirement for interveners to be certified or licensed. On the national level, individuals completing the Utah State University (USU) coursework may pursue an intervener credential. The USU national intervener credential requirements are rigorous and include a portfolio process and mentorship. However, the national intervener credential is not recognized in Iowa.

An intervener sub-committee of the Iowa Deafblind Project is reviewing information and working with other state agencies to promote discussion and understanding of what it means to be an intervener.