When: August 5-6, 2021 with a follow up on October 1, 2021
Time: 9am-4pm (3 hour sessions with a 1 hour lunch) and October 1: 9am-12pm
Where: Sessions will take place over Zoom
Presenter: Susan M. Bashinski, Missouri Western State University
Focus: The content of this conference is based on the idea that all students communicate. Students who are deafblind are unique learners. Teams who serve them must understand their unique needs when developing communication interventions. Teams will be introduced to appropriate communication assessments and interventions that they can implement to increase student participation and communication skills. Objectives of the conference:
- I can identify the communication level of my learner through an appropriate communication assessment.
- I can understand the unique needs of learners who are deafblind.
- I can develop a plan for communication that meets my learner at their level.
- I can develop a gesture/signal dictionary for my learner.
- I can use an individualized approach to communication with my learner who is deafblind.
- I can develop instructional routines that are appropriate for my learner who is deafblind.
- I can use strategies that engage my learner in activities and tasks.
Susan M. Bashinski is a Professor of Special Education, Director of Graduate Programs in Education, and Interim Dean of the Graduate School at Missouri Western State University, St. Joseph, Missouri. She has more than 40 years of experience working with learners who experience multiple disabilities, including deafblindness.
Targeted Audience: Teams of students and children who Deafblind. IEP teams and IFSP teams included. Parents of students who are deafblind. Teams are encouraged, but not required to attend together.
Registration: Space is limited.
Registration is available here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/G893LQT
Stipends: $100 Stipends are available to parents/guardians of children on the deafblind registry who attend both August dates.
Credit: Graduate credit and license renewal credit is available and limited to 15 participants. To receive credit participants must also register for the course through AEA PD Online.
To register for credit:
- Go to and log in/create an account: AEA Online Website
- Search for the course via the course number, instructor name or course title.
- Course Name: HL – Iowa Deafblind Project Summer Symposium: Communication (Graduate Level)
- Course #: 201640
- Section #: 307385
- Section #: 307385
The Iowa Deafblind Project will offer tuition reimbursement to those who serve students on the deafblind registry. More information about reimbursement will be provided following registration. Tuition reimbursement is limited to 15 participants. All participants who attend all 3 days will receive a certificate for completing 15 contact hours.
Questions? Contact Katy Ring at (712)310-4623 or email@example.com